It may feel daunting, but creating a true workflow can greatly improve your planning firm’s efficiency. Erin Kincheloe of All About It Consulting, provided some words of relief to the planning professionals in attendance at FPA Retreat 2015 when she said, “Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.”
During an education session on Thursday morning, Kincheloe and Julie Cochrane, Junxure’s director of consulting and training, walked attendees through a six-step process of developing workflow. Attendees did hands-on work developing ideas for how to systemize their processes and create workflow, heading home with actionable steps to implement.
Playing off the well-known six steps to financial planning, here are the six steps to workflow development:
1. Define and establish stakeholders and goals.
2. Gather data and determine expectations for next steps.
3. Analyze and evaluate current status of process.
4. Develop and/or refine process.
5. Implement and present process.
6. Monitor process.
Journal of Financial Planning